Sunday, August 23, 2026

Christmas Florida 2018

                               Christmas Florida.
That's Christmas Florida , not Christmas in Florida. Although it is the Christmas season. Friends suggested a trip to Christmas Florida on the first weekend in December. There is a large craft and art festival held the first weekend. So we took the trip of about 25 miles. What a great day. There were tractor displays, about 100 vendors, a cracker village and Fort Christmas. The village was made up of houses brought to the area and restored . Then there is Fort Christmas. A small restored replica of the fort. It was a fun day even with  temp in the high 80's.
     I noticed a large group of Airstream trailers in the back of the craft area. I also saw a few folks with badges from a Airstream club. Turns out they are having a rally. The rally is as volunteers at the fort distributing different buildings and events from that era. I believe the club chapter is from the Jacksonville area, and I believe this was there 7 or 8 year of doing this  I ' sure I'LL be corrected if wrong.  RVer's are a great group of folks. Forgot to mention, the fort was built in 1837 for the second Seminole war.
      The meaning of the term "cracker " refers to the early cowboys of Florida. The term comes from the cracking of their cow whips, one of the primary tools they used for getting their cattle out of the thick brush. They also used dogs. Hence the term "cracker ". We did attend a festival where their where whip cracking demonstration and contest at the Osceola county fairgrounds several years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment