Saturday, November 4, 2017

Road trip to Vale Oregon Sept 2017

     
      After leaving Burns we encounter a few passes with unusual names like Stinkingwater and Drinkingwater. There are a few long steep downgrades.


     On our way to Idaho we go through the town of Vale. We had read about the murals in town. Linda being a mural buff was excited. Well the excitement changes to outright joy as we enter the town. Pull over, pull over is all I hear in a excited loud voice. Even Hannah gets startled and starts looking around. Well no place right here, so we start circling the small town. Not once but three times. We did pull over for gas, and Linda jump's out. And off she goes on her quest. I park at the end of the gas station, and walk Hannah. Linda returns all smiles. She commands, that we have to go up a few streets and go down another. So we all get in the RV and follow her instructions. Seems she talked to someone who told her about a few others we missed. I spot a Less Schub tire store and check if they can check our tires. Yes, give then a few minutes. I guess I'm paranoid since the blow out. We will be getting on I 84, them I 80 for several hundred miles, so best to be safe. I do check them before we leave in the morning and with my heat gun whenever we stop especially along the interstate. In all there about 30 murals in this very small town. Many depicting The Oregon Trail. Very  neat, but some were beginning to show wearthering. We did miss about 12 pictures of murals. Not sure if we can come across them in the future.



















 
 
 
 
 







 
 










      BUT wait there is more. As we start out of town we both smell onions. And since I am not a fan of onions I pick up the smell instantly. The smell is getting stronger. Hannah starts smelling the vents, she even noticed the smell.




Then we begin  to see fields with what looks like onions all layed over like it is time to harvest.  Then we see the sign,


      Little did we  know that they grow 25% or over a Billion pounds of onions in the area consumed in the U.S.  You  know me know I am not looking for a roadside stand selling fresh onions.  A little research tells that here on the Oregon Idaho border is a very large onion producing area. Even though I don't like onions I would have liked to spend a day in this area. It is so much fum to find things like this on the back roads of America. Unfortunally we will be traveling 100's of miles along an interstate to get home to Florida and see what  damage we received from hurricane Irma .




1 comment:

  1. Everytime we see a mural we think of you guys. You hit the motherlode.

    ReplyDelete